Special and vulnerable populations often face additional barriers to care and are often compounded by social determinants of health (SDOH). While screening for SDOH is a necessary first step in identifying these disparities, responding to the data in practice is the ultimate goal in addressing SDOH.
The Association of Asian Pacific Community Health Organizations (AAPCHO), Health Outreach Partners (HOP), MHP Salud, and the National Health Care for the Homeless Council (NHCHC) will facilitate and lead this learning collaborative. This is an opportunity for health centers serving special and vulnerable populations to explore effective strategies to screen for SDOH and utilize data to build effective practices of addressing SDOH through the provision of outreach and enabling services.
The learning collaborative consists of four 90-minute sessions, held on Wednesdays in August and September at 8-9:30am HT / 11-12:30pm PT / 1-2:30pm CT / 2-3:30pm ET:
- Session 1: Wednesday, August 10
- Session 2: Wednesday, August 24
- Session 3: Wednesday, September 7
- Session 4: Wednesday, September 21
After this learning collaborative, participants will be able to:
- Understand the unique considerations of special and vulnerable populations when screening for SDOH;
- Identify at least 1 strategy to effectively screen for SDOH for special and vulnerable populations;
- Identify at least three (3) strategies to respond to SDOH screenings and effectively address SDOH of their patient populations;
- Demonstrate the value of screening for SDOH, providing enabling services, and responding to patient data; and
- Learn from the cohort’s experiences screening for SDOH and addressing social determinants and will identify best practices for health centers.
Priority will be given to applicants who are representatives of a health center program grantee (or potential health center grantee). Additional participants are welcome to apply and may be approved as space allows.
Accepted applicants are asked to attend a total of four learning sessions between August – September 2022.